Calligram

 Artist Statement: 

I wanted to base my calligram specifically off what is going on in my life right now as I am doing the project. Senior year of high school was a very low point for me, and I felt extremely grown out of my hometown and the people in it. As stated in my letter to my future self, moving to Tampa has changed my life. I feel like I have found myself and found a new home at the same time, and that is the absolute best feeling ever. I truly feel more at home here than I do when I go back to my hometown. While my past and childhood are extremely dear and important to me, I continue to view living here in Tampa as a new opportunity that generates excitement for me every single day to look forward to what things may come my way in the future. I feel like my calligram really represents this story and what it means to me. Seeing the image of the Tampa skyline and zooming in and seeing my words filling it in is really cool for me. 

Letter to my future self:

Dear future self,

    I hope you have kept your morals, values, and priorities at the forefront of your mind through all the happiness, confusion, and hardships of the past 20 years. I am writing this from January of 2023, which will likely seem like forever ago when you are reading this 20 years from now. You really never know what life will throw at you, huh? Sometimes things come naturally to us, and in other not-so-lucky circumstances, we struggle a little bit. It seems like every single decision I make at this point in my life, I am making based on how it will affect my future. Which is kind of ironic, considering I am writing to my future self. 

    Deciding where to go to college was a very difficult and stressful time in our life. You know how the process went. Deciding to go to UTampa was a very last-minute decision, but it has been the absolute best decision of our life. We have always known that we thrive near the beach or in an urban setting, the complete opposite of home. Let's start with city life. There are just an incredible amount of opportunities that are surrounding campus. It's always so nice to always have something to do. For the first time in our life, there is ALWAYS something to do. Moving here has absolutely changed the game. I never thought I could see myself living in Florida, but now it's all I can see for my future. The beach is just a short drive away, there are boats everywhere and the weather is perfect. It has been a very special experience living on my own for the very first time, and I feel so lucky and blessed for it to be in such a beautiful place where I feel like I am at home. 

Right now, we fully trust God's plan and what He has in store for our entire life. Looking ahead in 20 years, I hope and pray that you have kept this mentality up until now and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. I know that life will not be easy sometimes, but I hope you can look back over the past 20 years and with confidence say that we kept our morals, values, and priorities in line, no matter what materialistic things might distract us. 

Comments

  1. I think this is a really sick looking calligram! It takes quite a while to trace a whole skyline using the pen tool which is why I find this piece very impressive. I think you did a really good job in making sure the whole outline is filled with your text and that the buildings have different shading using the text itself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Propaganda Poster

Somewhere